Thursday, March 7, 2013

Review: Cloth Bottoms "Flip" Hybrid (cloth liners only)




The Flip System is made by Cotton Babies, the same company that brought you bumGenius and econobum. Cotton Babies' mission is to make cloth diapering easier for families so that more families will consider switching to cloth. Their diaper options take into consideration the different needs of different families in order to make something available for everyone.

And now, on to the review!

The Flip is a hybrid diaper, meaning it can be used with a variety of inserts (including a disposable). It is also one-size and fits from 8 to 35 pounds. It consists of a PUL cover and a choice of three different types of inserts. The cover can be reused without washing as long as it hasn't been soiled. I use about 3 covers per day, more if they get poop on them. The nice thing about them is that they air dry so fast, I can wash one out by hand and it will be ready in a couple of hours to be used again. So on some days, I really only use 2 covers because I've washed one.

I purchased my Flips with Stay-Dry inserts from Kelly's Closet. Each pack came with two covers and six inserts. The covers themselves were snapped down to the smallest size (shown in photo).



The first thing I noticed about the inserts was how soft they are! They are made of three layers of microfiber to wick away moisture, and a soft cloth layer on top to keep baby's skin dry. My husband's first comment was "Can you make me some underwear out of this material?" ;) They also come with convenient markings on the underside so that you can fold them appropriately for sizes Small, Medium, and Large (pictured below).


The covers are lightweight, waterproof, adjustable, and come in a variety of colors (but so far, just two patterns). I chose the hook and loop closures as they seemed to suit my family's needs better than the snaps. Also, in reading some reviews before purchasing them, I did note that there were some reports of the snaps coming off or the surrounding material ripping. I didn't want to take that risk, so I went with the hook and loop.



This is the cover of the Flip opened up to it's largest setting. On the right, you can see the wash tabs at the back. These are very soft and have never left marks on Twiddlebug's skin. They're great for keeping the hook and loop from snagging on everything else in the laundry. Goodness knows I have enough trouble untangling "bib octopuses". 



Shown above is how the Flip insert is placed. It's really very simple. Just tuck the end of the insert under the back flap, tuck the other end under the front flap, stretch the cover a bit to adjust the fit and make sure the insert is straight, and it's all set. (Note, this is still on its largest setting. For Medium and Small, you would fold the insert down to the desired size and slide the folded part under the back flap)


And here is a side-by-side bulkiness comparison of the entire Flip diaper on its smallest setting (left) and its largest setting (right). The large setting is pretty trim, but as with most one-size diapers, you do have added bulk in the smaller setting. However, they do have inserts in newborn size so that would cut down on the bulk significantly.

Last but not least, some photos of Twiddlebug in her Dazzle Flip!


As you can see, at 5 months old and 17 pounds, she has quite the chubby thighs! She is wearing her Flip on the Medium setting and it fits her great. 




Overall, I really do love my Flips! We've been using them for a month now and have not had a single blowout, nor have we had a leak. As I mentioned in my first blog post, leaking has always been an issue with disposables. I've always had to change her in the middle of the night to prevent morning leaks. However, she can go a full 12 hours overnight with no leaks at all when she's wearing a Flip. When Twiddlebug gets a diaper change, her skin is always dry as a bone and she has never had a rash even though I only use a barrier (with a separate liner) overnight. We've washed and dried all of the liners and covers several times with no issues. She is one satisfied customer!








No comments:

Post a Comment